steem

Monday, June 17, 2019

50 Cent Comics – The Uncanny X-Men #290



Next of from the stash of 50 cent comics I purchased at MegaCon this year is The Uncanny X-Men #290 from July 1992.


For a while, The Uncanny X-Men was probably my single favorite title though I wouldn't start buying them on a regular basis until almost a year after this issue. This issue features a battle primarily between Hiro and the Cyburai. What could be more cool than cybernetic Samurai? Then there was the drama between Storm and Forge. Forge had asked Storm to marry him in a previous issue and Storm apparently said let me think about it. She decided yes but not before Forge got sick of waiting and retracted his proposal. Overall a pretty uninteresting issue despite the cybernetic Samurai...unless you were really shipping Storm and Forge I guess. However I guess this issue is important in one regard. It is this issue in which Forge leaves the X-Men. He wanted to help Mystique who he would later have an affair with. Sometimes reading the X-Men is like watching a soap opera.


Again, it was really the ads that were more fun to look at. There are lots of video game ads in this issue. The Super Nintendo had been relatively recently released so there are still plenty of ads for the original NES plus the Genesis and Game Boy. This ad is for Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge for the NES, Genesis and Game Boy. It is a rather mediocre racer if I recall correctly.


Here we have Forge maniacally fixing the blackbird. We also have the more interesting ad for Super Castlevania IV, one of the early games for the Super Nintendo.


Some more dialog with Forge. Or you can look at the ad for Hook for the NES...


I miss Rick Moranis being in movies. My favorite roles of his will always be from Ghostbusters and Spaceballs but I liked the Honey, I Shrunk/Blew Up the Kids movies too.

See the previous entry in this series here: https://megalextoria.blogspot.com/2019/06/50-cent-comics-avengers-311.html


No comments:

Post a Comment